Friday 12 October 2012

Annoyance is key?

Gio Comparo
So I did start my blog in talking about Coca Cola’s ‘Open Happiness’ campaign but I think I’m going to derive from that for the moment and discuss something current.

So those in the UK would have seen the incredibly annoying ‘Go Compare’ adverts? And have you seen their new ‘Go Compare- Saving the Nation’ campaign? I personally despise the brand for irritating me on every advert break but do not resent it as much as Coca Cola in terms of globalisation, so I will happily link to the videos of said ads.

Here you see the original Go Compare advert: http://youtu.be/F_-9QFvhQWo

The brand has created not only a huge recognisable character (referred to as Gio Compario) but a hideous song that annoys you into remembering the bloomin’ comparison site. It’s quite genius really. But then clearly the marketers realised they needed to do something with their campaign, they knew people were getting absolutely sick of it and decided to turn it around with this campaign:

But who knows, they could have some real corkers in the marketing team and this could have been their plan all along? Infuriate the nation to such an extent that they become the heroes in destroying their own mischievous. Who knows…

All I can say is, I hated the old adverts, I hate the new adverts but enjoy the concept, and I remember the song and the brand name. So a job well done. The only problem is, out of the sheer fact that the adverts force me to reach for the remote and either change channels or hit the mute button, I refuse to use the comparison site and go to the cute and less irritating competitors- Comparethemarket. So, Go Compare marketers- you’ve created brand awareness but haven’t gained a customer, a bit of a win / lose situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment